The Duke of Cambridge launched a special appeal with the National Emergencies Trust in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic currently spreading across the globe.
“Whenever and wherever adversity strikes, the people of the U.K. have a unique ability to pull together,” William says in the video clip posted to the Kensington Royal social media accounts on Wednesday afternoon.
“The way that local communities support those affected shows the very best of our values and human nature. The public’s desire to help in the wake of tragedy needs to be managed and channelled in the best possible way, which is why the establishment of the National Emergencies Trust was so important.
“I said at its launch last year that I dreaded the day when it would be needed. Sadly, with the outbreak of COVID-19, that day has come faster than any of us would have hoped. But now, more than ever, I am grateful that the National Emergencies Trust exists.
“It will ensure that support reaches those across the UK who need it most, as quickly and efficiently as possible. And it will help to ensure that all our efforts to overcome this challenge are channelled in the best possible way.”
All money raised through the Trust’s COVID-19 appeal will be distributed through “the most trusted and reputable organisations” chosen as a result of partnerships built over the months since the Trust launched.
“We will work collaboratively with a wide range of organisations to ensure the maximum amount of money is raised and distributed securely, effectively, and fairly to those organisations and local charities who can do most to help those in need,” per the National Emergencies Trust’s website.
All funds will be available for distribution from 23 March, and the National Emergencies Trust will release a report at a later date outlining how the money was spent. The Trust says in its initial guidelines that there is no specific appeal target and that this could be ever-evolving based on the continuation of COVID-19. Similarly, there is no end date for the appeal.
The Trust will channel money based on the following criteria:
“Groups that support the ongoing needs of vulnerable people to ensure that their health and wellbeing is maintained; Groups and activities that support vulnerable people self-isolating (the elderly, people with pre-existing medical conditions, etc.); support for food banks and organisations working to combat hardship caused by the pandemic including child hunger; community response coordination; volunteer costs for new and existing organisations responding to the effect of the pandemic; additional costs of working remotely and adapting services delivered in the wider community; additional support as required for emotional support, mental health and bereavement support.”
To donate to the National Emergencies Trust’s COVID-19 appeal, you can do so by clicking this link.