After the tragic terror attack in Nice, France, on Thursday, royals from across Europe have expressed their shock and condolences.
The Belgian royals expressed their sympathies on Twitter writing: “Deeply shocked by the horrific attack in Nice. We share the pain of the French and are in solidarity with France. Our deepest condolences to the families of the victims.”
In the Netherlands, King Willem-Alexander and Máxima said: “The horrible act of violence this morning in Nice at the Basilique Notre-Dame de l’Assomption has shocked us. Once again, France – the country the Netherlands is so connected to – has been hit. Our hearts go out to all those that have been affected. We sympathise with those who have lost a loved one and feel connected to everyone who is committed to a peaceful society.”
Sweden’s King Carl XVI Gustaf sent a telegram to French President Macron stating: “The Queen and myself wish to express our condolences on the tragic deaths of the victims of the terrible event in Nice. We want to convey our deepest sympathy to the families of the victims as well as to the French people.”
Monaco’s Prince Albert sent a letter to the French President; Christian Estrosi, Mayor of Nice; and the Archbishop of Nice. He also mentioned the attack in a speech to Monaco on 30 October where he said: “This evening, my thoughts are with our neighbours in Nice, so horribly tried by the terrible attack earlier this morning. In front of the sorrow of the victim’s families and of the affected communities, I can only bow.”
Crown Prince Haakon of Norway, who is acting as Regent on his father’s behalf, sent a message late on Friday: “I was deeply saddened by the horrific attacks in France that we have witnessed recently. These deadly attacks on people are also attacks on basic human rights and the democratic values on which our societies are founded. We are with you, the French people, in solidarity to defend these rights and values.
On behalf of myself, my family and the Norwegian people, I offer you my deepest condolences. I beg you to believe, Mr President, in the expression of my deep compassion and to pass it on to the bereaved and to the French people.”
Much is still unclear about the attack in Nice on 29 October, but several fatalities and injuries have been reported after an apparent knife attack, including one victim who was reportedly decapitated. The attack follows just two weeks after the murder of Samuel Paty, a French middle school teacher, who was also decapitated.