Monaco’s Prince Albert has put his support behind the European Union’s initiative in combating COVID-19.
The EU has put together a global response to the pandemic, and on Monday, they organised an online international conference of donors alongside various international partners. This came after a call from the World Health Organisation and major players in the global health sector called for a rapid and equal access to COVID screenings, treatments and vaccines.
Prince Albert spoke via the video conference and remarked how Monaco has always held its place in humanitarian fields and will continue to do so through the pandemic.
“This is why the Principality of Monaco, in solidarity, is committing itself today to contribute to this common effort,” he said.
His Serene Highness spoke about the importance of equal access to testing and essential medical technology in the fight and said: “I am convinced that it is only together and united that we will be able to overcome this ordeal which has no equivalent in our recent history. Together and united, we will also have the opportunity to steer the future towards a more sustainable and inclusive path.”
By Monday evening, the EU announced that they had already raised 7.4 billion euros in pledges to help in the battle with the virus. Many of the funds in Monaco will go to Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation to support their work.
The COVID-19 battle is a personal one for Prince Albert as he was the first head of state and royal from a reigning royal family to be diagnosed with the disease in March. He was placed in quarantine and has since recovered and reunited with his wife, Princess Charlene and their twins, Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques.