SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM: Please consider donating to keep our website running and free for all - thank you!

Features

Prime Minister says security arrangements for Prince Harry and Meghan are private as they head back to the UK

Screenshot 2026 07 20 100818

Prime Minister, Andy Burnham, has refused to enter the debate about security arrangements for Prince Harry and Meghan as they prepare to move back to the UK.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex pulled yet another surprise on Wednesday when they announced they want to return to the UK to live.

Just hours later, the Prime Minster was publicly asked about security for the couple and their children, Archie and Lilibet, when they set up home here. Andy Burnham, who took up office last month, said ”It’s a matter for Harry and Meghan.”

The PM added that ”we wish them well in the move that they are making”.

Security arrangements have long been a sensitive area for the Sussexes with Harry fighting and losing a egal battle over arrangements for him and his family. He has previously said he didn’t think the UK was safe enough for his wife and children to visit without full scale royal protection. Currently, the Sussexes fund their own security.

Mr Burnham was asked about the issue as further news of the return of Harry and Meghan to the UK was breaking.

On Wednesday evening, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were reported to be on their way back to the UK, six years after leaving on what Prince Harry later called his ”freedom flight”.

It’s now understood the Sussexes will make their move within days as they plan to be resident by the end of August. Seven year old Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, 5, are already enrolled in a British school and will start classes in early September.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain private citizens and will continue to pursue their own commercial ventures. They will not become working members of the Royal Family again and there will be no ‘half in half out’ arrangement, in keeping with the rules put in place when they left in 2020.

It’s not known where they will live but it will be a non royal residence and they are thought to be headed to the Cotswolds.

King Charles was told about the move by his younger son on Sunday and the Prince and Princess of Wales were also informed before the move became publicly known.

About author

Lydia Starbuck is Editor in Chief at Royal Central and the main producer and presenter of the Royal Central Podcast and Royal Central Extra. Lydia is also a pen name of June Woolerton who is a journalist and writer with over twenty years experience in TV, radio, print and online. Her latest book, A History of British Royal Jubilees, is out now. Her new book, The Mysterious Death of Katherine Parr, will be published in March 2024. June is an award winning reporter, producer and editor. She's appeared on outlets including BBC 5 Live, BBC Radio Ulster and BBC Local Radio and has also helped set up a commercial radio station. June is also an accomplished writer with a wide range of material published online and in print. She is the author of two novels, published as e-books. She is also a marriage registrar and ceremony celebrant.