Princess Beatrice of York amazed everyone by getting married in secret and her choice of venue is perhaps just as much of a surprise. The princess and her new husband, Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, tied the knot at the little known Royal Chapel of All Saints at Windsor.
The church is situated in the grounds of Royal Lodge at Windsor and is also known as Queen Victoria’s Chapel. Beatrice’s fascination with her great, great, great, great grandmother is well known. Victoria worshiped there occasionally during her long reign.
The chapel was built in the 1820s on the orders of King George IV who made nearby Royal Lodge a favourite residence. It was designed by Jeffry Wyatville and first used in 1825.
However, it was a royal relation much closer to Princess Beatrice who developed a special devotion for the church. Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother often worshipped at All Saints after moving into Royal Lodge in 1931 while still Duchess of York. She continued to attend services there after becoming Queen Consort and in 2002, it was to the Royal Chapel of All Saints that her coffin was brought. The Queen Mother lay in rest there with just her closest relatives in attendance until her coffin was moved to Westminster Hall for her lying in state.
The Queen and members of the current Royal Family attend services there while staying at Windsor.
The Royal Chapel of All Saints is a royal peculiar which means that it is part of the Church of England but outside the jurisdiction of its local diocese and under the direct jurisdiction of the Monarch.
Princess Beatrice’s marriage is the first royal wedding to take place at the chapel.