European monarchs and other royals from across the world have sent their condolences to Her Majesty following the horrendous terror attack in London on Wednesday. The Queen has so far received messages from Belgium, Greece, Jordan, Luxembourg, Monaco, Spain, and Sweden.
King Philippe of Belgium called The Queen yesterday to express his sympathy. The attacks in London occurred exactly one year since the horrific terrorist attacks in Brussels. On Wednesday morning, he and Queen Mathilde attended memorials at both sites of the attacks and unveiled a memorial to the victims.
Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece, who lives in London with his family, remarked on Twitter, “My thoughts and prayers are with the murdered police and people injured at #Westminster. This will not break our Democratic way of life in [London].”
On Twitter, the Jordanian Monarchy said, “His Majesty King Abdullah II condemns the attack on the British Parliament & extends his condolences to the families of the victims.”
Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg sent a telegram to Her Majesty on Thursday morning saying, ” The Grand Duchess and I are shocked to hear about the news of the terrible events yesterday near Westminster. The Luxembourg people join us in expressing to Your Majesty our most heartfelt sympathy for the victims and their families. In these times of uncertainty, it is of utmost importance to stand together in the defence of our common values.”
Prince Albert II of Monaco said, “It was with deep emotion that I learnt of the criminal attack on Westminster’s Bridge and Houses of Parliament yesterday. The People of Monaco, my Family and I wish to express our most heartfelt and sincere condolences to Your Majesty and the People of the United Kingdom at these sombre times. Let me assure Your Majesty of our deep sympathy and our prayers for the victims and their families.”
On 24 March, King Mohammed VI sent his condolences on behalf of the Moroccan people to Prime Minister Theresa May saying, “On this sad occasion, I send you, the bereaved families and the British people my sincere condolences and deepest sympathy and wish the injured a speedy recovery.”
Shortly after the attack, the Spanish Monarchy was the first to offer condolences when they tweeted, “Shocked by the attack of London, our solidarity with the British people and their institutions in the fight against terror.” Queen Letizia also expressed her sadness at the attacks on Thursday morning at the beginning of the “7th Conference on Tobacco or Health.” The video can be seen above, and a moment of silence was held at the Royal Palace in Madrid, as well.
King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden sent the following message to Her Majesty yesterday afternoon, “The Queen and I wish to convey our sincere condolences on the tragic loss of lives following the dreadful attack in London yesterday. We offer our heartfelt sympathies to the families of the victims and to the people of the United Kingdom.”
So far, there have been no public statements from the royal families in Denmark, Liechtenstein, Netherlands or Norway. Royal Central will update you if their statements are made public.