SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM: Please consider donating to keep our website running and free for all - thank you!

DenmarkEuropean Royals

Crown Prince Frederik celebrates Danish design milestone


By Mogens Engelund - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=38905130

Crown Prince Frederik took part in the preview ceremony for the reopening of the Design Museum Denmark in Copenhagen, following a two-year renovation. 

Upon his arrival on 14 June, His Royal Highness was welcomed by Anne-Louise Sommer, the Museum Director, and Henrik Tvarnø, the Chairman of the Board. 

Once inside, the Crown Prince gave a speech celebrating the reopening and the world of Danish design, in all of its diverse forms, from decor items to fashion, from architecture to innovative technologies. 

After that, Crown Prince Frederik was given a tour of the museum’s various exhibitions, most of which are long-term and represent a collection of various categories of items that trace a history of Danish design. 

For example, one of the exhibitions that will be displayed at the museum until December of 2025 is titled “Wonder,” and it “tells the story of how a thing becomes an object, in a private collection or in a museum,” according to the institution’s newly-renovated website. 

Designmuseum Danmark is reopening to the public on 19 June, following two years of closure due partly to the global health safety restrictions and partly to renovation works. 

The building that currently houses the museum is a 1750s rococo building, and these latest works have included the restoration of facade decoration, the installation of roughly 2500 square metres of new marble floors and, in keeping with Danish policies, a major upgrade in the climate efficiency of the facility. 

The museum was founded in 1890 in a joint effort b the Industrial Association in Copenhagen and the New Carlsberg Museumslegat. The structure originally selected was the place known today as Tivoli Castle, located on what is now H.C. Andersen Boulevard; in 1926, it was moved to Frederiksstaden, in the former Royal Frederiks Hospital, where it is still today.