With a year to go until The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations, The Commonwealth Resounds is calling on all Commonwealth writers, composers, and choirs to be involved in a special and unique tribute to The Queen. A brand new Commonwealth song will be commissioned to be sung by choirs in all 54 Commonwealth countries at the same time as the lighting of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Beacons on 2 June 2022.
Bruno Peek, Royal Pageantmaster, said: “In celebration of Her Majesty The Queen’s extraordinary 70-year dedicated reign over the UK and the Commonwealth, the lighting of the Beacons will occur on 2nd June 2022 throughout the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, UK Overseas Territories and for the ‘first time,’ in each of the Capital Cities of the Commonwealth.
“I thought it would add to this special moment in The Queen’s life, if a unique song was sung by individual choirs throughout the Commonwealth as the Beacons are lit throughout the various time zones, on 2nd June next year.
“I could think of no better organisation than my friends from The Commonwealth Resounds to organise this competition to find the winning song to be sung during this historic evening of celebration.“
Alison Cox, Founder of The Commonwealth Resounds said: “We are calling all writers from around the Commonwealth to send us possible lyrics for the song. You have until August 2nd 2021 to do this. After this, we shall choose the winning lyrics and share them with Commonwealth composers who will be invited to write and send us songs for consideration. One song will be chosen as ‘The Commonwealth Song’
“We are also calling for choirs all over the world, as many as possible in each country, to learn and sing the Commonwealth Song on June 2nd 2022 at 9:15pm in their different time zones. This is exactly the time when beacons will be lit all over the world. It will be absolutely amazing.”
While the official beacon lighting is nearly a year away, there is a time table for musicians looking to get involved in ‘A Commonwealth Song.’
Monday 2 August 2021 at 23:59 UK BST
- Closing date and time for receiving song lyrics
- Adjudicators meet to choose the winning song lyrics
Thursday 2 September 2021 at 12 noon UK BST
- Winning song lyrics announced and posted online
- Commonwealth composers invited to begin writing and submitting songs
Tuesday 2 November 2021 at 23:59 UK GMT
- Closing date and time for receiving song titles
- Adjudicators meet to choose the winning song
Thursday 2 December 2021 at 12 noon UK GMT
- The overall winner plus five short listed composers will be announced and celebrated online
Sunday 2 January 2022 at 12 noon UK GMT
- The winning song will be identified as ‘A Commonwealth Song’ will be recorded and posted online along with the score and clear instructions for learning it
Friday 2 April 2022 at 12 noon UK BST
- All choirs will be asked to learn the song by this time for the purpose of media and promotion
Thursday 2 June 2022 at 21:15 individual timezones
- ‘A Commonwealth Song’ will be sung by choirs all over the world to coincide with the lighting of The Queen’ Platinum Jubilee Beacons in all 54 Commonwealth countries
The Commonwealth Resounds is a Registered Charity and is one of the only musical organisations officially accredited to the Commonwealth. The small organisation has bee in existence since 2005 and is run by volunteers and part-time staff.