Click the button for the latest news on the coronavirus pandemic and how it is impacting the royals

The Duke of Edinburgh

The Duke of Edinburgh surrenders his driving licence



The Duke of Edinburgh has surrendered his driving licence voluntarily following a car crash last month which left two women hospitalised.

Speaking on Saturday evening, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: “After careful consideration, The Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving licence.”

In February, Prince Philip was involved in a car collision near the Sandringham Estate on the A149. The Prince, who was driving a Land Rover, collided with a Kia carrying two women and a baby boy.

Although Prince Philip’s car took a tumble, he had no serious injuries. However, one woman in the Kia suffered a broken wrist and the other sustained cuts to her knee. A baby boy was uninjured.

Both women were treated at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn and were discharged later that night.

The 97-year-old caused further controversy only a day later after he spotted behind the wheel again, this time without wearing a seatbelt.

This incident prompted police to issue a warning to the Prince regarding his lack of a seatbelt.

A Norfolk Police spokesperson said: “Suitable words of advice have been given to the driver. This is in line with our standard response when being made aware of such images.”

This is a breaking news story. This article will be updated throughout the day.