
King Harald’s health has taken a worrying turn after the Norwegian monarch’s condition deteriorated over the weekend.
The 89-year-old King remains in hospital in Oslo where he is receiving antibiotics for an infection caused by bacteria in his blood.
The Norwegian Royal Court issued a new health update on Sunday, revealing that Harald’s condition had deteriorated but confirming that he has responded to the treatment.
The Palace said: “His Majesty the King’s state of health deteriorated over the weekend. The King receives antibiotics for an infection with bacteria in the blood, and has responded to this treatment.”
Despite the worrying development, there is some reassuring news.
King Harald’s condition is currently described as stable and he will remain at Rikshospitalet, the National Hospital in Oslo, while he continues his treatment.
The latest update comes just two days after the Norwegian Royal Court confirmed that the King would miss a planned visit to Trøndelag because of his ongoing hospital stay.
Queen Sonja is carrying out the visit as planned, while Crown Prince Haakon has stepped in as Regent and is continuing to carry out his father’s constitutional duties.
King Harald was unexpectedly admitted to hospital last week after doctors became concerned about side effects from his treatment for haemolytic anaemia.
The monarch had been receiving cortisone as part of his treatment for the condition, which causes red blood cells to be destroyed faster than the body can replace them.
Doctors became concerned that the treatment had caused fluid retention and admitted the King to Rikshospitalet for further tests and care.
He was initially expected to take two weeks’ sick leave, but his latest health setback means he will now remain away from his official duties until further notice.
The development is another health challenge for King Harald, who has experienced several periods of ill health in recent years.
The Norwegian Royal Family has also faced a difficult period, with Queen Sonja having required hospital treatment for heart problems and Crown Princess Mette-Marit undergoing a lung transplant following years of treatment for pulmonary fibrosis.
Crown Prince Haakon will continue to act as Regent while his father remains in hospital.
The Crown Prince regularly assumes the role when King Harald is unavailable, but has now taken on the full duties of Norway’s head of state while the monarch receives treatment.
For now, the Norwegian Royal Court is offering some reassurance despite the latest development.
King Harald’s condition deteriorated over the weekend and he is being treated for a bacterial infection in his blood, but he has responded to antibiotics and his condition is stable.
The King will remain in hospital until further notice.
The Royal Court has said a further health update will be provided when there is new information about his condition.

