SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM: Please consider donating to keep our website running and free for all - thank you!

Royal News

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor could be out of the line of succession

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor could be removed from the line of succession.

The government has said it is thinking of bringing in legislation that would take the former prince out of the succession

He is currently eighth in line.

The move would need agreement of all the realms where Charles III is Monarch..

However, the government is only thought to be considering the move after the police investigation into Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is over.

The BBC reported that the move has been discussed and said it was unlikely it could happen without the backing of The King.

Earlier in the day, the leader of the Liberal Democrats, Sir Ed Davey, said that Andrew’s place in the succession should be under considieration.

And the shadow Secretary for Scotland, Andrew Bowie, said Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor should voluntarily relinquish his place in the succession.

It followed the shock arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor by Thames Valley Police looking into allegations of misconduct in a public office.

The police arrived at Andrew’s home on the Sandringham estate just after 8am on February 19, the former prince’s 66th birthday.

Mr Mountbatten-Windsor was taken into custody and remained there for 11 hours when he was released under investigation.

Properties in Berkshire and Norfolk were also searched by officers. It’s believed the properties were Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate and Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate. The day after the arrest, searches continued at Royal Lodge.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was photographed as he was driven away from Aylsham detention centre following his release. He has made no comment but has previously denied any wrongdoing.

The King issued a statement shortly after his younger brother was detained in which he said ”the law must take its course”.

Charles III was later seen at the opening of London Fashion Week but declined to ask questions from reporters about the events surrounding his brother.

As eighth in line to the throne, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor holds an important constitutional role. He is a Counsellor of State – one of a group of people who can step in for the Monarch when they are temporarily unable to fulfil their role. Two counsellors must act together and the law that appoints them says the role can be taken by the consort and the first four adults in the line of succession. King Charles asked parliament to add Princess Anne and Prince Edward to that list at the start of his reign, ensuring Andrew wouldn’t need to be asked.

However, the Regency Act of 1937 also states that adults in the line of succession can also be potential regents should the monarch need a permanent stand in. The first eligible adult in the line is called on. So if Charles III needs a regent it would be Prince William. However, should William need a regent it would be Prince Harry and the law also talks about regents having to be resident in the UK. Next after Harry on the list of adults in the succession is Andrew.

Should the former prince be removed from the succession, it would mean his elder daughter, Princess Beatrice, would move up to eighth in line.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was born second in line to the throne and remained ”spare” for over twenty years, until the birth of Prince William. Andrew’s family occupies a total of seven places in the succession. As well as his own spot, his daughter, Beatrice, is ninth followed by her two daughters, Sienna and Athena. Andrew’s younger daughter, Princess Eugenie, is twelfth followed by her sons, August and Ernest.

In October 2025, King Charles removed all of Andrew’s royal titles and honours but he is unable o take him out of the succession.

About author

Lydia Starbuck is Editor in Chief at Royal Central and the main producer and presenter of the Royal Central Podcast and Royal Central Extra. Lydia is also a pen name of June Woolerton who is a journalist and writer with over twenty years experience in TV, radio, print and online. Her latest book, A History of British Royal Jubilees, is out now. Her new book, The Mysterious Death of Katherine Parr, will be published in March 2024. June is an award winning reporter, producer and editor. She's appeared on outlets including BBC 5 Live, BBC Radio Ulster and BBC Local Radio and has also helped set up a commercial radio station. June is also an accomplished writer with a wide range of material published online and in print. She is the author of two novels, published as e-books. She is also a marriage registrar and ceremony celebrant.