Connect
To Top

Luxembourg and Spanish royals send condolences to France after latest attack

After a gunman opened fire on a Christmas market in Strasbourg, France, on Tuesday night, royals in Europe have expressed their sympathies to President Emmanuel Macron, who is co-Prince of Andorra, and the French people. So far, France’s latest terror attack has killed two and left one other brain dead. A dozen others have been injured in the attack by 29-year-old Strasbourg native, Cherif Chekatt, who is still on the run.

So far, two European royal families have publically sent their condolences: Luxembourg and Spain.

King Felipe of Spain and the Spanish Royal Family’s condolences were shared on Casa Real’s Twitter account, “The Union of Europe, the word of its Parliament in Strasbourg, will always overcome terror. Spain sympathises with the families of the victims and the wounded, with the people and the authorities of France.

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg sent a telegram of his sympathies to France’s President Emmanuel Macron saying, “Mr President, Very shocked by the tragic events of last night, the Grand Duchess and myself are sending our thoughts to the victims and their families. Receive, on behalf of the Luxembourgish people, the expression of our solidarity for the inhabitants of Strasbourg with whom we share so many things.”

Outside of Europe, the King of Morocco sent a cable of condolence to President Macron. In his remarks, His Majesty told the French leader, in part, “My thoughts also go to the wounded to whom I address my sincere wishes for a speedy recovery.” He expressed his solidarity with the French people and said expressed his “most vigorous condemnation of this abject criminal act.”

Any other royal condolences to France that are made public will be added to this article as they become available. Please check back for updates. 

More in European Royals