SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM: Please consider donating to keep our website running and free for all - thank you!

British Royals

The King greeted by cheers as he continues busy diary of engagements amidst Andrew’s arrest

Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales

The King pressed ahead with a scheduled public appearance in central London on Thursday afternoon, just hours after his younger brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Arriving at the engagement shortly after 3pm, the King was greeted by a mixture of cheers and shouted questions relating to the morning’s developments. Smiling as he shook hands with well-wishers and spoke with those in attendance, he gave no further comment beyond a written statement issued earlier in the day.

Buckingham Palace confirmed that the engagement had been in the diary for some time and would proceed as planned. The Queen had earlier also continued with her programme.

Mountbatten-Windsor, 66, was detained at approximately 8am at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk. It is understood that six unmarked vehicles and a number of plain-clothes officers attended the property.

Thames Valley Police said he had been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and that searches were under way at an address in Berkshire. He has not been charged and is believed to be in police custody. Mr Mountbatten-Windsor has consistently denied wrongdoing.

The investigation is understood to centre on allegations that sensitive information may have been shared with the late financier Jeffrey Epstein during the period when Andrew served as the United Kingdom’s trade envoy. Police have said inquiries are ongoing.

Legal proceedings became active at the point of arrest.

In a statement signed “Charles R”, the King said he had learned of the news “with the deepest concern”.

“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” he said. “In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”

He added: “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”

The Palace indicated that neither the King nor his household had been informed in advance that the arrest was to take place. The statement concluded that it would not be appropriate to comment further while the process continues, and that the Royal Family would remain focused on their public duties.

About author

Charlie Proctor has been a royal correspondent for over a decade, and has provided his expertise to countless organisations, including the BBC, CBC, and national and international publications.