<![CDATA[Prince Harry has launched a Paralympic-style sporting championship for injured soldiers after being impressed a similar event in the United States.
The fourth-in-line announced plans for the games at the Queen Elizabeth Park in London where he was joined by Mayor Boris Johnson.
The Prince has been working hard to bring the event to the UK, ever since he witnessed first hand the Warrior Games in the US during his trip last spring.
“I have witnessed first hand how the power of sport can positively impact the lives of wounded, injured and sick servicemen and women in their journey of recovery,” Prince Harry said. “The Invictus Games will focus on what they can achieve post-injury and celebrate their fighting spirit through an inclusive sporting competition that recognises the sacrifice they have made.”
He added: “I am extremely proud to be bringing an event like this to the UK for the first time and believe it can have a long-lasting impact on the well-being of those who have served their nations so bravely.”
Over 300 injured and wounded servicemen and women will take part in the eight adaptive sports during the games which will be held at the Olympic Park and the Lee Valley athletics centre from September 10-14.
Harry and his brother Prince William’s charity The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will be contributing a grant to the staging of the event, which will see 13 nations take part.
The event has been welcomed by Prime Minister David Cameron who described it as a ‘wonderful opportunity to recognise the commitment of those who serve in the United Kingdom’s and our allies’ armed forces and to pay tribute to the sacrifice of those who are wounded or injured.”
Last year, Prince Harry attended the Warrior Games for injured service personnel, held in Colorado, US.
Speaking about the event he said: “There’s no reason why the Warrior Games shouldn’t be recognised… with the same amount of attention as the Olympics and Paralympics.”