The Queen has sent a message of sympathy following the attack in Tunisia on Friday in which 38 people died. Her Majesty expressed her shock at the terror attack on holidaymakers on a beach in the resort of Sousse. It is now believed that the number of Britons confirmed as killed in the violence will rise to 30 when formal identification begins. So far, at least 15 of those who died have been confirmed as UK citizens.
The Queen’s full message reads ‘Prince Philip and I were shocked to learn of the attack on British tourists in Tunisia on Friday. We send our sincere condolences to the families of those who were killed and our deepest sympathy to the people who are still fighting for their lives in hospital, and those who have been seriously injured. Our thoughts and prayers are with all countries who have been affected by this terrible event’.
This is the worst terrorist attack to affect the British population since the 7/7 bombings ten years ago. On Friday, a gunman with links to Islamic State, Seifeddine Rezgui, aged 23, opened fire on holiday makers in Sousse. As well as killing 38 people he left another 36 injured before he was shot dead by police.
The Prime Minister has said that Britain is ‘united in shock and grief’. Writing in today’s Daily Telegraph, David Cameron said that terrorism can only be defeated by supporting the values of ‘peace, democracy, tolerance, freedom’. He went on to say that ‘to our shock and grief we must add another word: resolve. Unshakeable resolve. We will stand up for our way of life.’
King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of the Belgians have also expressed their concern and sympathy following the attacks. At least one Belgian national is understood to have died at Sousse. An official communication said that the royal couple sent their deepest condolences to the President of Tunisia and said that they were in close contact with the Belgian Foreign Minister to keep up to date with what had happened to tourists from their own country.
Photo credit: Michael Garnett via Flickr