Queen Margrethe of Denmark is set to sail away on the royal yacht Dannebrog as part of an annual summer tour of the country. The Queen will make a visit to the island of Anholt on 3 June and Aarhus Municipality from 5 June to 6 June. Later in the summer, Her Majesty visits the municipalities of Thisted on 31 August, Esbjerg on 1 September and Fanø on 2 September. The Royal Court states that the details of the Queen’s programme will be published later.
It is the individual municipalities that host the visits. On her summer trips, the Queen meets local citizens and visits a number of businesses and cultural institutions.
The annual royal summer tour on the Dannebrog is a tradition that dates back to the reign of King Christian X of Denmark who made yearly trips across Danish waters. The tradition has since been carried on by King Frederick and Queen Ingrid, and most recently their daughter, Queen Margrethe who has been visiting various Danish port towns and regions each summer.
In addition to the annual summer tour, the Dannebrog has also been used on special occasions, such as when Crown Prince Frederick and Crown Princess Ingrid, who was born a Princess of Sweden, sailed home to Denmark after their wedding in Stockholm, Sweden.
The Danish royal yacht is one of the world’s two remaining royal yachts. The other is the Norwegian royal yacht, Norge. The British royal yacht, Britannia was decommissioned in 1997. The Dannebrog yacht was built from 1931-1932 as a replacement for a former royal vessel, the paddle steamer Dannebrog, from 1879. The ship serves as an official and private residence for The Queen and the Royal Family during summer cruises of Denmark or on official overseas visits.
When not occupied by the royals, the Dannebrog takes part in surveillance and sea operations. The Dannebrog plays an important role in the visibility of the monarchy across the country by allowing The Queen and the Royal Family to visit numerous Danish port towns and stay connected to all parts of the kingdom through direct contact with the local population. The only ever interruption of the annual tour was during the German occupation of 1940-45 when the ship was docked in Copenhagen Harbour.