Queen Margrethe of Denmark has concluded her official visit to the Faroe Islands. The trip began on 15 July and concluded on 19 July. The Faroe Islands belong to the Danish monarchy, but have internal self-government regulated in the Home Rule Act of 1948. The Faroe Islands do not have their own constitution.
On July 18, the Queen began the day in the village of Nes, where Her Majesty attended a Sunday service in the church of Fríðrikskirkjan. Upon arrival at the church, the Queen was received by Bishop Jógvan Fríðriksson. The church, designed by the Faroese architect Høgni Würdig Larsen, was consecrated in 1994 and is named after Fríðrikur Petersen, who was provost of Nes from 1900 to 1917.
The bishop held a reception for the Queen later in the day. After the service, the Queen visited the House of Commons, which is a meeting place for the elected representatives. Here, His Majesty was received with a performance from a choir. During the visit, the Queen was given a tour of the place. On this occasion, a number of photographs from Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid’s visit to Toftir in 1949 were on display.
After the bishop’s official lunch, the Queen visited the new tunnel, the Eysturoyar tunnel, where artist Tróndur Patursson has made an art installation at the roundabout in the tunnel. The roundabout is the world’s first underwater roundabout.
Later in the day, the Queen arrived at the village of Strendur where she was given an official welcome led by Mayor Arthur Johansen. Nes Sóknar Musikkfelag played music for Queen Margrethe. After the reception, she was shown Strendur Church and enjoyed a performance from the women’s choir, Silvitni. The day finished with a visit to Snældan, which is the only spinning mill in the Faroe Islands.