The Queen has given her seal of approval on the bid to return the ‘Welsh Crown Jewels’ back to Wales. The jewels include a ring, a mantle, a robe, a sword, a girdle, and a rod. But the most famous part of this regalia is without a doubt the coronet.
The coronet’s base is inspired by the design of both St. Edward’s Crown and the Imperial State Crown. It has four crosses pattée and four fleurs-de-lis. On top of the coronet’s two arches sits a ball, topped with a cross. In the middle of the golden frame is a velvet cap, lined with fur. This coronet was used for the last Investiture of the Prince of Wales, as the previous one, used for The Duke of Windsor, was still in his possession. Most of the regalia had been redesigned for this Investiture, which took place at Caernarfon Castle in 1911.
The Prince of Wales has also given his blessing. A Clarence House spokeswoman noted that it “was the Prince of Wales’ idea to help with the regeneration of Llandovery.” If this bid is successful, the jewels will be moved from their current location at St. James’s Palace in London to a heritage centre in Llandovery, Carmarthenshire.
Prime Cymru’s Chief Executive – David Pugh commented: “We have had the agreement of HM the Queen that, subject to us securing Heritage Lottery Funding, they will be on a long-term loan to Llandovery and will form the central part of the museum. They are the Welsh crown jewels and it would be the only place outside London where these sorts of things are on display.”
“It would be for the whole of west Wales to have something of this significance in this part of the country.”
Photo credit: Michael Garnett via Flickr.