Spain’s Casa Real believes incident between Queen Letizia and Queen Sofía “has been magnified” and blown out of proportion, according to Spanish newspaper El País.
Casa Real has not publicly commented on the video, but sources within Zarzuela Palace have spoken out to the media saying the short video does not portray what actually happened. They told El País, “The ceremony lasted almost two hours and what you see are only a few seconds.”
However, they did admit, at the same time, that Queen Letizia’s motions in front of the camera were “more or less unfortunate.” The Spanish Royal Family went together for Easter lunch after mass at the Marivent Palace where they said there was no tension between the family.
El País inquired if Queen Letizia and Queen Sofía would appear soon in public together to dispel the rumours. Sources stressed to them that “what happens will happen with all normality, nothing will be forced.”
Earlier this week it was claimed that Queen Letizia of Spain was worried and hurt about the Easter mass video that surfaced appearing to show her in a verbal altercation with her mother-in-law, Queen Sofía, as the family was leaving the service at the Cathedral-Basilica of Santa María de Palma de Mallorca.
The comments were made on Telemadrid’s television programme El círculo on Wednesday by a friend and former co-worker at CNN+ of Letizia’s Imma Aguilar. She told the programme that the Queen is “is worried and desolate” as it has been spread around social media and the Spanish media.
Aguilar added that Her Majesty told her that the incident seen in the video was a “natural gesture” and seemed “silly.”
“I think they are the images of a mother worried about the image of her daughters. I talked to Queen Letizia a while ago, and she is worried and quite desolated by this situation; she is very committed to the care of her daughters, with the protection of her image, she worries who takes photos of them. She worries where they come from, who approaches them … It’s a very motherly reaction,” said Aguilar.