Prince Henrik of Denmark has broken the silence and is now speaking to the press about his decision not to be buried with his wife, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. On Thursday of last week, the Danish Royal Court confirmed that Prince Henrik, the husband of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, did not wish to be buried in Roskilde Cathedral – creating a lot of attention and anger throughout the world.
It is journalist Lally Hoffmann, Royal House reporter of the Danish TV channel TV2 who has met Prince Henrik and talked to him about this decision. Prince Henrik met TV2 on a private journey he is currently performing in his native country, France. According to Hoffmann and TV2, Prince Henrik is tired of the debate that occurred when it became known that he wanted to be buried alone.
It has also recently become known that the Danish people do not support Prince Henrik’s announcement, and more than half of respondents disagree with the Prince’sannouncement.
According to Hoffmann, Prince Henrik said: “This is related to my own life, my family life. My relationship with the family and not at least, the Queen.” After the Prince chose to be buried alone, he has received a significant amount of criticism which has offended Henrik, according to Danish TV2.
Royal Central’s editor Charlie Proctor has also criticised Prince Henrik for his decision. Read his article here: “Prince Henrik of Denmark an embarrassment to constitutional monarchy.”
Prince Joachim, the younger son of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik, said this past week about his father’s decision: “This is not news for us in the family. We have been aware of it for a long time, and I think it has been said. We have all been aware of it, and therefore there is no more to say about it.”