Queen Margrethe has cancelled her planned official engagement on Monday following the deterioration of her husband, Prince Henrik.
Her Majesty was due to visit Sankt Lukas Hospice in Copenhagen to celebrate the organisation’s 25th anniversary.
The cancellation of her visit is a worrying sign and signifies her husband is severely unwell.
The Royal Danish House said in a statement on Friday that Prince Henrik’s health has taken a turn for the worse.
In full they said: “The state of His Royal Highness Prince Henrik’s health has unfortunately severely worsened.
“His Royal Highness The Crown Prince has thus discontinued his stay in South Korea, where he was in conjunction with the Winter Olympics. The Crown Prince is now on his way to Denmark.
“Kongehuset currently has no additional information.”
The 83-year-old Prince has been hospitalised since 28 January in Copenhagen’s Rigshospitalet after returning from Egypt for further testing. He had initially been in hospital in Egypt.
On 2 February, the Royal House announced that Henrik had a tumour and infection in his left lung. Fortunately, the tumour was benign.
The Prince has been in ill health for the past few years. Just last year, the Danish monarchy announced that he was suffering from dementia and would further decrease his workload. The family, at the time, as for understanding and privacy while he deals with the disease.
Crown Prince Frederik returned from a visit to South Korea to be by his father’s side after his condition following the news of his deterioration.
The Prince was in South Korea to attend the Winter Olympic Games which get underway on Friday.