The Duke of York has admitted that he let The Royal Family down for continuing to visit convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein after he was released from prison.
The 59-year-old Prince said: “The problem was the fact that once he [Epstein] had been convicted, I stayed with him and that’s…that’s…that’s the bit that…that…that, as it were, I kick myself for on a daily basis because it was not something that was becoming of a member of the royal family and we try and uphold the highest standards and practices and I let the side down, simple as that.”
Prince Andrew says he “kicks himself” on a daily basis for continuing to see Epstein after his release from prison.
He adds that he has “let the side down”, admitting he didn’t uphold the high standards which are expected of royals.
— Charlie Proctor (@MonarchyUK) November 15, 2019
In the interview, which will be aired on Saturday evening, the Duke was also questioned on his relationship with Virginia Roberts.
Ms Maitlis said: “One of Epstein’s accusers, Virginia Roberts has made allegations against you.
“She says she met you in 2001, she says she dined with you, danced with you at Tramp Nightclub in London. She went on to have sex with you in a house in Belgravia belonging to Ghislaine Maxwell, your friend. Your response?”
Ms Maitlis pressed on, asking whether the Duke has any memories of meeting Virginia Roberts.
The Prince once again claimed he had no recollection of meeting her.
Prince Andrew & The Epstein Scandal: The Newsnight Interview, will air at 9pm on BBC Two on Saturday.