Prince Charles and Camilla

The Duchess of Cornwall cancels second engagement because of chest infection


Picture by i-Images / Pool

Doctors have told the Duchess of Cornwall to rest after a heavy cold she has been suffering from for several days turned into a lingering chest infection. As a result, Camilla has had to withdraw from a second event in less than 24 hours.

The duchess was due to open the Fields of Remembrace at Westminster Abbey on November 7th. However, just before the engagement was due to start, Clarence House announced Camilla wouldn’t be able to attend because of ill health.

Clarence House said that the duchess had been advised to rest and stay warm by her doctors after a chest infection she developed had become ”progressively worse” in the past few days.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were also due to attend Westminster Abbey for the opening of the Field, an engagement carried out for many years by the Queen Mother. In recent times, Prince Harry has regularly taken part, often alongside his grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh.

The Duchess of Cornwall accompanied the Prince of Wales to an event on Wednesday morning marking the twentieth anniversary of London Farmers’ Markets. However, just hours later she had to pull out of a special dinner marking the 200th anniversary of the birth of Prince Albert when her chest infection became worse.

The Duchess of Cornwall is still set to attend acts of remembrance in the coming days. She is due to take part in the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday and accompany the Royal Family to the Cenotaph on Sunday for the UK’s national act of remembrance, led by Her Majesty the Queen.



About author

Lydia is a writer, blogger and journalist. She's worked in the media for over twenty years as a broadcast reporter, producer and editor as well as feature and online writer. As well as royals and royal history, she's a news junkie and podcaster.