
The King declined to answer questions about the arrest of his brother as he carried out a scheduled engagement marking the start of London Fashion Week on Thursday afternoon.
As he arrived at the central London venue, reporters asked whether he had any reaction to the detention earlier in the day of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The King did not respond and continued inside, where he was greeted by well-wishers gathered along the route.
The engagement, hosted by the British Fashion Council, focused on innovation and sustainability within British fashion – long-standing areas of interest for the monarch. During the visit, he toured an exhibition showcasing environmentally conscious design and emerging technologies aimed at reducing the industry’s environmental impact.
He also viewed a display curated by Stella McCartney, recently appointed an ambassador for the King’s Sustainable Markets Initiative, which promotes private-sector solutions to climate change and sustainable development.
Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested at approximately 8am at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk. It is understood that several unmarked police vehicles and plain-clothes officers attended the property.
Thames Valley Police confirmed that he had been detained on suspicion of misconduct in public office and that searches were being carried out at an address in Berkshire. He has not been charged and is believed to be in police custody.
The investigation is understood to relate to whether sensitive information was shared with the late financier Jeffrey Epstein during the period when Mr Mountbatten-Windsor served as the United Kingdom’s trade envoy. He has consistently denied wrongdoing.
Legal proceedings became active at the point of arrest.
Earlier, the King issued a written statement expressing “the deepest concern” at the news of his brother’s arrest. Signed “Charles R”, it said that what now follows is “the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities”.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation,” the statement read. “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”
The Palace indicated that neither the King nor his household had been informed in advance of the arrest. The statement concluded that it would not be appropriate to comment further while the process continues, and that the Royal Family would remain focused on their public duties.
By proceeding with the London engagement, the King signalled an intention to maintain his public programme despite the unfolding investigation – even as questions about his brother followed him to the doors of the fashion showcase.

