Click the button for the latest news on the coronavirus pandemic and how it is impacting the royals

The Sussexes

Madame Tussauds remove their waxwork figures of Harry & Meghan from display


Waxworks of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex next to BBC presenter Simon McCoy (Photo: BBC screengrab)

The world’s most famous waxwork museum, Madame Tussauds, has removed their wax models of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex from their Royal Family display.

The decision to remove Harry & Meghan from the set was made almost immediately after their surprise announcement on Wednesday that they are to ‘step back’ as senior royals.

Wax figures of The Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge remain in position.

Steve Davies, General Manager at Madame Tussauds London, said: “Alongside the rest of the world we are reacting to the surprising news that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be stepping back as senior Royals. 

“From today Meghan and Harry’s figures will no longer appear in our Royal Family set. 

“As two of our most popular and well-loved figures they will of course remain an important feature at Madame Tussauds London as we watch to see what the next chapter holds for the them.”

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced on Wednesday that they are stepping back from their roles as senior members of the Royal Family.

In a statement on their Instagram account, Harry and Meghan said they will be splitting their time between the UK and North America while ”continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen”.

Neither The Queen or any other member of The Royal Family were consulted about Harry & Meghan’s statement before the couple released it via their Instagram account on Wednesday evening.

A palace source told the BBC that the royals feel “hurt” by Harry & Meghan’s actions.

The news of Harry & Meghan’s effective resignation from The Royal Family has taken Buckingham Palace by surprise.

The BBC reports that the palace are ‘disappointed’ with the way in which this had been handled.

It is understood that no members of The Royal Family were conducted ahead of the couple’s statement being released.

Speaking shortly after the news, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said that the situation was complicated with discussions at an early stage.

The spokeswoman said: “Discussions with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage.

“We understand their desire to take a different approach, but there are complicated issues that will take time to work though.”