SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM: Please consider donating to keep our website running and free for all - thank you!

British Royals

Queen Camilla offers £2,500 boost to aspiring journalists

Queen Camilla wears a white coat dress with monochrome straw hat on the last day of Royal Ascot. She also chose a surprise jewel for the event - a diamond brooch given as a wedding present to Queen Mary.

Queen Camilla is backing a new initiative aimed at helping young journalists overcome financial barriers and build careers in the media industry.

The Queen Camilla Future of Journalism Awards will provide 25 journalists aged between 18 and 30 with up to £2,500 towards their professional development.

The awards, run by the Journalists’ Charity, are open to journalists working across print, broadcast, digital and social media.

Successful applicants will be able to use the funding towards training, equipment, relocation, accommodation or travel costs associated with their work.

They will also be offered mentoring or coaching and invited, along with a guest, to a special ceremony attended by Queen Camilla and industry leaders in February 2027. The ceremony is scheduled to take place on February 17.

The initiative has been launched amid concerns that rising living costs, student debt and the financial pressures associated with entering the journalism industry are preventing talented people from pursuing careers in the media.

The Queen, who is patron of the Journalists’ Charity, has emphasised the importance of a free, professional and diverse press, particularly at a time when misinformation and disinformation are widespread.

A spokesman for Queen Camilla said the Queen hoped the awards would help those aspiring to careers in the media who might otherwise be deterred by financial barriers.

James Brindle, chief executive of the Journalists’ Charity, said the organisation was “deeply honoured” that its patron was backing its efforts to support new talent.

The charity described the scheme as an opportunity to give young journalists the tools they need to take their careers to the next level.

The Journalists’ Charity was founded in 1864 by Charles Dickens and has a long-standing connection with the Royal Family. Queen Victoria granted the organisation a Royal Charter in 1890, while Queen Elizabeth II was previously its patron.

Queen Camilla became patron following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

Applications for the first Queen Camilla Future of Journalism Awards are currently open, with the closing date set for midnight on Wednesday, August 26.

Applicants must be aged 18 to 30, resident in the UK and either employed in journalism or, if freelance, earning their full-time income from the sector. They must also demonstrate financial need and explain how the award would make a difference to their career.

The awards are expected to become an annual initiative, with the Journalists’ Charity currently planning to support 25 journalists each year.

Applications can be made through the Journalists’ Charity website.

About author

Charlie Proctor has been a royal correspondent for over a decade, and has provided his expertise to countless organisations, including the BBC, CBC, and national and international publications.