Connect
To Top

Prince Charles meets victims of British floods

The Prince of Wales travelled to Cumbria on Monday to visit communities who have been worse hit by the recent floods.

Prince Charles began his visit in the town of Carlisle, where he met residents who were forced out of their homes earlier this month after the flood waters got too high. The heir to the throne got to see first-hand the gruelling clean-up operation that was being undertaken so the residents could return to normality.

It was only six years ago when the Prince of Wales visited the same area following previous major flooding.

The 67 year old Prince also visited businesses and industries who have lost money due to the flooding, including the McVitties factory.

Here, Charles had a tour of the factory where he met staff and observed the huge clean-up process which is being undertaken.

The leader of Cumbria County Council, Stewart Young said that he believes the Prince’s visit will ‘bring a boost’ to the area after the events of a few weeks ago.

He continued: “He came after the 2005 floods and I think it raises people’s spirits to see him.”

At other points in the day, the Queen’s eldest son met the heroes of the floods, who helped the vulnerable and undertook rescue operations. This included emergency response workers, volunteers, flood victims and local dignitaries.

The Superintendent of Cumbria police, Justin Bibby said: “This is recognition for the community.

“He makes people feel relaxed, and shows a genuine interest.”

The floods occurred in early December following Storm Desmond, which brought devastation to many communities in the north-east of England and Cumbria. Hundreds of homes and businesses were damaged after a record amount of rain fell over a few days.

Prince Charles made an undisclosed private donation earlier in the month to the Cumbria Community Foundation to help those affected by the situation. The Prince’s Countryside Fund also donated £40,000 from its emergency fund, as well as launching a public appeal, which raised around £20,000.

A Clarence House spokesperson said: “The visit will recognise the efforts of those who helped in the relief operation as well as showing the progress of repair work as local communities prepare for Christmas and look ahead to the New Year.”

More in British Royals

Royal Central is the web's most popular source for the latest news and information on the British Royal Family and the Monarchies of Europe.

Subscribe via Email

To receive the latest Royal Central posts straight to your email inbox, enter your email address below and press subscribe.

Join 30,027 other subscribers.

Copyright © 2017 Royal Central, all rights reserved.