SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM: Please consider donating to keep our website running and free for all - thank you!

The Queen

The Queen cancels a series of engagements after being told by her doctors to rest


The Queen has cancelled a series of engagements after being ordered to rest by her doctors.

The 95-year-old monarch was “reluctant” to accept the advice according to Buckingham Palace.

It is not understood to be a matter of concern, and the advice has been issued in an abundance of caution.

Her Majesty was due to visit Northern Ireland this week to mark the country’s centenary year.

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: “The Queen has reluctantly accepted medical advice to rest for the next few days.

“Her Majesty is in good spirits and is disappointed that she will no longer be able to visit Northern Ireland, where she had been due to undertake a series of engagements today and tomorrow.

“The Queen sends her warmest good wishes to the people of Northern Ireland, and looks forward to visiting in the future.”

The Queen has had a busy diary over the past few days since returning from her summer break at Balmoral Castle.

On her previous few engagements, the monarch has been seen using a walking stick to support her balance.

The Queen’s most recently conducted an engagement on Tuesday at Windsor Castle, where she received ambassadors in audience.

She also welcomed guests to Windsor Castle to mark the Global Investment Summit.