The Duke of Edinburgh has been discharged from hospital this morning following an 11-day stay. He was not seen entering the car and is presumed to have left through a back door. He was driven by the waiting media and waved to them.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: “His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh left King Edward VII’s Hospital at midday today, following a hip replacement operation last week. The Duke will continue his recovery at Windsor.
His Royal Highness would like to convey his appreciation for the messages of good wishes he has received.”
Princess Anne had visited her father only yesterday, and she told the assembled media that her father is “in good form.” As she was leaving the King Edward VII hospital, The Princess Royal gave an update to journalists who asked how the Duke was recovering him.
The Princess is the only member of The Royal Family who has visited 96-year-old Prince Philip in hospital. The Queen’s husband had been in hospital for over a week after undergoing a full hip replacement surgery.
The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to hospital after weeks of pain. He was forced to cancel several engagements due to hip problems. The surgery, which took place last Wednesday, was successful.
If his recovery goes well, he should be able to attend the wedding of his grandson Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on the 19th of May. Buckingham Palace has stated that further updates on the Duke’s recovery will be issued “when appropriate”.
The 96-year old Prince Philip is not the only royal who has undergone a full hip replacement at such an old age. The Queen Mother also had a hip replacement surgery at the age of 95.