To Top

Duchess of Cornwall to open pop-up shop at Fortnum & Mason

The Duchess of Cornwall will officially open the Fine Cell Work pop-up shop at Fortnum & Mason on Wednesday.

During the official opening, The Duchess will attend a reception with the charity’s staff, supporters and volunteers.

Fine Cell Work is a social initiative which trains prisoners to do compensated, professional craftwork in their cells. The idea is to save money, gain employment skills and build pride which are key to help stay on a positive and productive path upon release.

Fine cell employs up to 240 prisoners. Supported by a national network of more than 200 volunteers, they sew for an average of 28 hours a week in their cells.

The handmade merchandise is sold to museums, interior designers and the public. The prisoners receive 37% of the proceeds from sales. The remaining 63% is used to cover costs.

In 2012, Fine Cell Work was awarded the Queens Award for Voluntary Service.

Begun in 1707 when royal footman William Fortnum set up shop in St James’s with his landlord, Hugh Mason, Fortnum & Mason is internationally recongnised for its fine quality and service. A Royal Warrant holder for the past 150 years, Fortnum’s is a proud supporter of Fine Cell Work and it merchandise.

This past October, Camilla attended the launch of her son, Tom Parker Bowles new book ‘Let’s Eat Meat’ at Fortnum & Mason’s Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon.

Featured Photo Credit: Chloe Howard 2014

More in Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall

Royal Central is the web's most popular source for the latest news and information on the British Royal Family and the Monarchies of Europe.

Subscribe via Email

To receive the latest Royal Central posts straight to your email inbox, enter your email address below and press subscribe.

Join 36,412 other subscribers.

Copyright © 2018 Royal Central, all rights reserved.