Crown Prince Frederik has said that he regrets the decisions his father, Prince Henrik, has made.
Speaking to the Danish press on Thursday, the Crown Prince said: “I only have to say that I’m really sorry for my father’s decision in a lot of areas. More can not be said about this case at present.”
The Danish Royal Court controversially announced last week that the 83-year-old Prince does not wish to be buried beside his wife, Queen Margrethe in Roskilde Cathedral, the traditional burial site of the Kings and Queens of Denmark. This means that a joint sarcophagus, which has already been made by sculptor, Bjørn Nørgaard, will either not be used at all, or will only be used by Queen Margrethe II when she passes away.
The Danish Royal Court added that the Prince will be buried in Denmark but gives no further details.
A few days ago, Prince Henrik’s younger son also commented on the news that has caused so much attention.
Prince Joachim said: “This is not news for us in the family. We have been aware of it for a long time, and I think it has been said. We have all been aware of it, and therefore there is no more to say about it.”
A couple of days ago, Prince Henrik gave a bizarre interview to a Danish magazine, in which he said The Queen is “playing him for a fool.”
In full, Prince Henrik said: “If she (The Queen) wants to have me buried next to her, she must make me King Consort, that’s it!
“My wife has decided that she would like to be Queen, and I’m very pleased with that; but as a person, she must know that if a man and a woman are married, then they are equal.
“My wife hasn’t shown me the respect an ordinary wife should show her spouse.”
He added: “She’s the one playing me for a fool. I didn’t marry The Queen to get buried at Roskilde.
“It’s my wife and not me that can do anything about this matter. If she wants me buried with her, she has to make me King Consort.
“End of story – I couldn’t care less.”