
A politician has called on Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor to remove himself from the line of succession.
Andrew Bowie, who is shadow Scotland Secretary, said it was time for the former prince to give up any claim to the throne.
Speaking to GB News, the Conservative politician said ”I think it would be the decent thing.”
The call came the day after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was released from custody under police investigation. He had been arrested earlier the same day by officers investigating misconduct in public office.
Mr Bowie said ”Of course, if he’s found guilty of this, I think Parliament would be well within its rights to act to remove him from the line of succession…..let’s remember, he’s not been found guilty of anything just yet – he has yet to be charged with anything.”
Removing anyone from the line of succession isn’t a royal decision although someone can offer to give up their place, if they wish. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor does have the option to say he would no longer be in line to the throne.
Formal changes to the succession have to be made by parliament. And they would have to be made in all the realms in which Charles III is King meaning the process is complicated and time consuming and not necessarily something that a range of countries would want to dedicate legislative time to.
However, the issue of Andrew Mountbatten- Windsor’s place in the succession has been under renewed discussion in recent days and that has intensified following his arrest.
The government has previously said there are no plans to begin the process of removing anyone from the line of succession.
Although Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has now been released under investigation, police continue to search his former home at Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate.
He was detained around 8am on February 19, his 66th birthday and held at a police station for 11 hours before being seen being driven away from Aylsham detention centre just before 7pm.
He has always denied any wrongdoing.
Thames Valley Police, who arrested and questioned the former, prince, said no further details would be given at this time.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was born second in line to the throne and is now eighth.

