Meghan Markle’s dad, Thomas Markle, has told TMZ that he will not be able to make the trip across the pond to walk his daughter down the aisle. He is due to have major heart surgery today and will be unable to travel after due to his recovery.
Markle, who resides in Mexico, said that the surgery would put in a stent, repair damage and clear blockage in his heart. He reportedly had a heart attack around a week ago.
This announcement came just hours after Mr Markle also told the celebrity news site that he was going to Windsor to walk Meghan down the aisle after it had been reported the day before that he would not go due to his staging of paparazzi pictures. At the time, he said, “I hate the idea of missing one of the greatest moments in history and walking my daughter down the aisle.”
The photo scandal involving the father of the bride was due to him reportedly staging paparazzi photos of him in various locations showing him looking at photos of his daughter, reading books on Windsor and leaving flowers at Meghan’s mother’s door in Los Angeles. It was exposed by the Daily Mail two days ago. He later told TMZ it was “stupid” but that he did not see it as a colossal mistake.
After the announcement that he would not attend the Royal Wedding after the photo scandal came to light, Kensington Palace released a statement saying, “This is a deeply personal moment forMs. Markle in the days before her wedding. She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr Markle in this difficult situation.”
It is unknown who, if anyone, will walk Meghan down the aisle of St George’s Chapel on Saturday. Kensington Palace has not commented, but many believe Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland made do the honour in a royal wedding first.