The Prince of Wales’s communications secretary, Julian Payne, has denied reports that Prince Charles will not reside at Buckingham Palace once he becomes King.
The Sunday Times reports that once he becomes Monarch, Charles will remain at Clarence House rather than live in The Queen’s current London residence of Buckingham Palace.
Commenting on the story, Mr Payne simply said that the story is untrue.
The TImes reports that Charles told his staff that he plans to remain in Clarence House with the Duchess of Cornwall, as the couple are “very comfortable.”
The paper adds that the Duke of Cambridge is in agreement with his father, seeing the palace as too expensive and large for a family house.
A source told The Times: “I know [Charles] is no fan of ‘the big house’, as he calls the palace.
“He doesn’t see it as a viable future home or a house that’s fit for purpose in the modern world.”
Queen Victoria designated Buckingham Palace an official royal residence in 1837. Since then, every monarch has made the 775-room palace their primary residence.
Julian Payne was appointed communications secretary to the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall last year.
Before his role at Clarence house, he started working for luxury fashion house Burberry Burberry after spending six years with the BBC as Director of Communications in the aftermath of the Jimmy Saville scandal. He also was the head of communications for BBC Radio 1.
Before working for the BBC, Mr Payne was a partner at Henry’s House where he dealt with clients including Honda and the Beckham family.