SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM: Please consider donating to keep our website running and free for all - thank you!

Royal News

King Charles sends heartfelt message to Hong Kong as city begins mourning for victims of Tai Po fire

King Charles has sent a deeply personal message of sympathy to the people of Hong Kong as the city enters a three-day mourning period following its deadliest fire in nearly eight decades.

A solemn minute’s silence was held by officials on Saturday to honour those who died in the catastrophic blaze, which tore through seven residential towers in Tai Po earlier this week. Local authorities have confirmed that more than 120 lives were lost, with many others injured and a significant number of residents still unaccounted for as rescue operations continue.

In his message, signed ‘CHARLES R’, the King said he and Queen Camilla were “greatly saddened” by the tragedy, expressing their “most heartfelt thoughts” for grieving families and for those facing “shock and uncertainty” in the aftermath. He praised the bravery of emergency crews and the community volunteers who rushed into danger to help their neighbours, commending what he described as Hong Kong’s “determined spirit” in the face of profound loss.

Authorities in Hong Kong have said the fire spread with alarming speed due to highly flammable materials attached to the exterior of the towers while building work was underway. Multiple arrests have been made in connection with the ongoing investigation, including individuals held on suspicion of corruption linked to the renovation works, and others previously detained on manslaughter charges. The exact cause of the blaze is still being examined.

The King’s message carries particular resonance given his long-standing personal connection to the city. As Prince of Wales, he represented Britain at the historic 1997 ceremony that marked the transfer of sovereignty to China—an event still remembered across Hong Kong. His statement recalled a deep respect for the resilience of its people.

“As this appalling tragedy unfolds,” he wrote, “strength can be found in supporting one another,” adding that the victims, their families and the wider community would remain “in our prayers and in our hearts.”

Hong Kong’s mourning period will continue for three days, with flags flown at half-mast and public events scaled back as the city comes to terms with the scale of its loss.

The King’s message in full

“My wife and I were greatly saddened to learn of the devastating fire in Tai Po and feel deeply for the people of Hong Kong at such a tragic time. Our most heartfelt thoughts are with all those who have lost loved ones and with those who are now living with shock and uncertainty. 

“We have heard of the extraordinary courage of the emergency services, and the determined spirit of the many community members who have come to their neighbours’ aid. In the face of such appalling tragedy, strength can be found in supporting one another, and we see that same bravery in Hong Kong at this most heartbreaking of times.  We offer our profound sympathy to all those whose lives and livelihoods have been so dreadfully affected.  

“The families and loved ones of those whose precious lives have been lost, and the people of Hong Kong, will remain in our prayers and in our hearts. 

“CHARLES R.”

About author

Charlie Proctor has been a royal correspondent for over a decade, and has provided his expertise to countless organisations, including the BBC, CBC, and national and international publications.