Prince Andrew has revealed he is ‘grateful’ after receiving an apology from police officers after he was asked to verify his identity in the gardens of Buckingham Palace earlier this week.
“The police have a difficult job to do balancing security for the Royal Family and deterring intruders, and sometimes they get it wrong,” the Duke of York said in a statement.
“I am grateful for their apology and look forward to a safe walk in the garden in the future,” he added.
Prince Andrew has said he is ‘grateful’ for an apology after being asked to identify himself in the gardens of Buckingham Palace.
The Duke was taking an evening stroll in the gardens of the Palace on Wednesday at 6pm, when he was asked to verify his identity by two police officers. The Met Police confirmed that a man was ordered to produce identity, but did not name Prince Andrew.
“The man was satisfactorily identified. No weapons were drawn and no force was used,” a Met spokesman said.
The incident comes just days after security was breached at the palace, the London residence of the Queen, when a man was arrested for attempted burglary.
The suspected burglar managed to scale a 12 foot fence, and was discovered in one of the Palace state rooms at around 10.20pm on Monday 2 September.
A second man, believed to be the burglar’s accomplice was found waiting outside the London Palace, was also arrested.
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are currently on their summer holiday in Scotland, on the Balmoral estate.
“No members of the Royal Family were at Buckingham Palace at the time of the incident,” a police spokesman confirmed.
The attempted burglary is the worst breach of security at Buckingham Palace since 1982, when a Michael Fagan managed to break into the Queen’s bedroom.
photo credit: Royal Navy Media Archive via photopin cc
I think it’s something bad. I hope we don’t have this kind accident.
To receive the latest Royal Central posts straight to your email inbox, enter your email address below and press subscribe.
Join 648 other subscribers