Today is the birthday of Princess Eugenie of York. To celebrate Her Royal Highness’s 24th birthday, here are 24 facts about the 7th-in-line to the throne.
1. Princess Eugenie of York was born on 23rd March 1990 at the Portland Hospital and is the second daughter of Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Sarah, Duchess of York.
2. Her full name is Eugenie Victoria Helena – as a titled member of the Royal Family, she has no official surname, though personally uses ‘York’ as a surname.
3. Her full title is Her Royal Highness Princess Eugenie Victoria Helena of York.
4. She is one of the few members of the Royal Family whose name follows the ‘order’ from Queen Victoria that all female descendants would bear the name Victoria somewhere in their name.
5. She is also the youngest Princess by birth in the Royal Family.
6. Her christening was held in Sandringham on 23rd December 1990 and she is the only member of the Royal Family to date whose christening was public.
7. Princess Eugenie is 5 foot 7 inches tall.
8. Her Royal Highness attended Malborough College, the same school that was attended by The Duchess of Cambridge.
9. She is most senior member of the Royal Family currently living outside the United Kingdom, she currently lives and works in New York.
10. Princess Eugenie is 7th in line to the throne and is the 2nd female in the line of succession after her sister Princess Beatrice.
11. At the age of 12, Princess Eugenie underwent back surgery at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, Middlesex, to correct a scoliosis condition. The surgery was successful.
12. Her Royal Highness performed her first engagement in 2008, aged 18, when she opened the Teenage Cancer Trust’s unit for young cancer patients in Leeds.
13. Despite occasionally performing engagements on behalf of her grandmother The Queen and sometimes in her own right, she is not classed as a full-time working royal and her independent activities are not listed in the Court Circular.
14. Princess Eugenie was described as ‘the branniest member of the Royal Family’ in 2012 when she received a 2:1 degree in English literature and history of art from Newcastle University.
15. Princess Eugenie was one of around 3,000 cyclists to take part in Nightrider, a 100km bike ride through London in 2012. She rode to raise money for the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital and the Marylebone Cricket Club Foundation.
16. According to the official website of the Duke of York, Princess Eugenie completed a three month cookery course in 2012 and is not ‘pursuing a career in the art world’.
17. Her Royal Highness currently works for Paddle8, an art auction house in New York, as a Benefit Auction Manager – she is listed on their website as ‘Eugenie York’.
18. Princess Eugenie is currently believed to be in a long-term relationship with Jack Brooksbank, a waiter working in London – he is understood to have remained in London whilst Her Royal Highness moved to New York where she works.
19. Despite her parents divorcing in 1996, the family remains very close, with Princess Eugenie describing them as ‘the best divorced couple I know’.
20. Princess Eugenie has an apartment along with her sister Princess Beatrice at St James’s Palace in London where she often stays when she’s in the UK.
21. Before working for Paddle8, Princess Eugenie worked for a short while for Christie’s and the Royal Collection.
22. Princess Eugenie is good friends with Cressida Bonas, girlfriend of her cousin Prince Harry – she and boyfriend Jack have joined them on holidays before.
23. The Princess is expected to return to London in the coming months to help setup the new UK branch of the Paddle8 auction house.
24. In the order of precedence, Princess Eugenie ranks above Lady Louise Windsor but below her sister Princess Beatrice.
photo credit: Carfax2, VinnieLDA and Royal Central