The Queen attended a parade at Windsor Castle on Thursday afternoon to mark the appointment of the Duke of York as Colonel of the Grenadier Guards.
A parade took place in St George’s Hall at the castle to mark the appointment of Prince Andrew, who took over the position of Colonel from his father, the Duke of Edinburgh.
After the parade concluded, Her Majesty joined Prince Andrew for an official photograph alongside Officers and Warrant Officers.
The Queen, as Princess Elizabeth, was herself Colonel of the Grenadier Guards from her sixteenth birthday until her accession to the throne in 1952.
The Duke of Edinburgh had been Colonel of the Grenadier Guards since 1975.
The Grenadier Guards were formed by King Charles II in Flanders in 1656, and were known as His “Royal Regiment of Foot Guards.”
They have fought in almost every major campaign of the British Army and later became known as the First Regiment of Foot Guards, and now bear the title The First or Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards in honour of their defeat of the Grenadiers of the French Imperial Guard at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.
The Grenadier Guards have become a symbol of Britain, and are often seen outside of Buckingham Palace wearing their famous bearskin hats which are worn in recognition of their victory at the Battle of Waterloo.
In total, the Grenadier Guards have 78 Battle Honours having served in many battles, including the Napoleonic, Crimean, Boer, First and Second World Wars.
Recently, they were one of the final units involved in ground combat in Afghanistan and continue to serve the country with distinction.
The Duke of Edinburgh retired from public duties last year, and now only makes appearances at a few selected events.