Anne, Princess Royal is patron of the Restorative Justice Council. As such, she visited Truro Cathedral in Cornwall on 11 January. She signed one of 60,000 slates to be used in the roofing project for the cathedral.
Her visit to Cornwall was to celebrate the developments made in Cornwall’s schools which have been supported by the Cornish social enterprise RJ Working.
The slate signed by Her Royal Highness was purchased through donations to the Truro Cathedral Roof Appeal. Funds were also raised through the ‘Sign a Slate Project’. Those who donated towards a slate could add their names. They could also choose to dedicate a signature to a loved one, an occasion or something fun.
Members of the Truro congregation will have to wait two years for the project to be completed. And though the Princess Royal’s visit to the county wasn’t entirely dedicated to learning about their capital appeal, they were pleased and delighted she took time out of her schedule to demonstrate her support.
The Dean of Truro, the Very Reverend Roger Bush, said: “There is, of course, always a great sense of excitement around royal engagements and this visit was no exception.
“It was a privilege to welcome the Princess Royal, not only to offer our spectacular cathedral as a place where she could engage with the work being carried locally out by the organisation of which she is a patron, but also, by participating in ‘Sign-A-Slate’, to enable her to learn more about our history and enable her to be part of our story for the future.”
Construction on Truro Cathedral began in 1880, four years after the establishment of the Diocese of Truro. the building’s design was implemented by the leading gothic revival designer of the day, John Loughborough Pearson. The church was built on the site of the 16th-century parish church of St. Mary the Virgin.
Truro Cathedral is in the perpendicular style. Its spire is 128 feet (39 m) tall. For seven years, a building on a temporary site served as the church. the south aisle of St. Mary the Virgin was left standing and incorporated into the church. By October of 1887, the choir and transepts were completed. the service of consecration was held on 3rd November of that same year. The central tower was completed in 1905; the two western towers were finally opened in 1910.