The White House announced on Thursday that First Lady of the United States, Melania Trump, would be leading the United States delegation of 90 athletes to Toronto for the 2017 Invictus Games in September. This will be her first solo foreign trip as First Lady.
The First Lady’s spokeswoman, Stephanie Grisham, confirmed that Melania would meet Prince Harry while in Canada. He joined forces with former First Lady Michelle Obama last year when the event was held in Orlando, Florida.
The pair even had some good humoured fun before the Games began. After His Royal Highness had told the First Lady and the American team to “bring it” at the Invictus Games, Michelle and President Obama posted a video telling Prince Harry and the British team to be careful what they wish for. Prince Harry responded with a video of his own featuring Her Majesty The Queen saying, “Oh really? Please.”
In a statement, First Lady Melania said about the Invictus Games, “In just two short years, the Invictus Games have allowed thousands of injured and wounded servicemen and women from many different countries to participate in adaptive sports competitions, something that should be lauded and supported worldwide. I am honoured by the opportunity to represent our country at this year’s games.”
Prince Harry founded the Invictus Games in 2014. The initial year of the Games took place in 2015 in London. Last November, His Royal Highness announced that Sydney would host the fourth edition of the event in October 2018. In June of this year, he travelled Down Under to officially launch the 500-day countdown.
The third annual Invictus Games will take place from 23-30 September where more than 500 wounded warriors from 17 nations will participate.