Connect
To Top

The Duke of Sussex’s visit to Amsterdam postponed

Buckingham Palace has announced that the Duke of Sussex’s scheduled visit to Amsterdam on the 8th of May has been postponed. He is still expected to visit The Hague on Thursday the 9th of May for the launch of the Invictus Games The Hague 2020 as planned. The postponement is said to be due to logistical challenges. The full statement reads, “Due to the logistical planning for the travelling press to cover visits and engagements by The Royal Family, we have taken the decision to postpone The Duke of Sussex’s scheduled visit to Amsterdam on Wednesday 8 May 2019.”

The visit to Amsterdam and The Hague coincides with a visit to Germany by the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall from May 7th to May 11th. They will visit Berlin, Leipzig and Munich on a trip that aims to show the depth of relations between the UK and Germany and underline the continuing importance of those links.

It was announced in June last year that the Invictus Games 2020 would be hosted by The Hague.

The Duke of Sussex said, “I am delighted to announce that The Hague is taking up the challenge of hosting the 5th #InvictusGames. The city will soon become the motivation for hundreds of servicemen and women using the Games to inspire their recovery from physical and mental injuries.”

He also commented via the Kensington Palace Twitter, “The Netherlands has supported the Games from the very beginning, & I know that everyone there will fully get behind & support the soldiers & veterans who have served their countries so bravely” and “We have already seen in London, Orlando, and Toronto just how exciting hosting the #InvictusGames can be, and I know this will be an incredible experience for everyone in The Hague @InvictusGamesNL as they embrace the Invictus spirit in 2020.”

More in British Royals