As the 2017 Invictus Games come to a close tonight, Prince Harry has spoken out about his “responsibility” to keep the Games going in the future.
“The world needs Invictus, these guys need Invictus, I need Invictus, we all need our fix,” Prince Harry told a Canadian broadcaster.
“We all need to be inspired, we all need to be encouraged and reminded of what duty and service is all about.”
Prince Harry has said in the past that the Invictus Games might not last, “as the conveyor belt of injured coming back from war has ceased to a certain extent” as he reminded everyone this morning before the wheelchair basketball medal game.
“We have a social responsibility here to continue this for as long as it’s needed…it would be silly for us to close it down.”
Prince Harry spoke of future Invictus Games, saying the “sky’s the limit” and that “it’s impossible to wrap something up that is making such an impact and changing lives.”
Prince Harry spoke to the Sunday Telegraph about how the Toronto Games are going, saying that “It’s been on another level. It’s been amazing.”
The Prince pointed out that youth are engaged in the Games: “that’s who we wanted to reach.”
“What people don’t see behind the scenes is that there’s been loads of Invictus things going on in schools across Canada too.”
Prince Harry told Canadian TSN sportscaster Brian Williams that “Canada has made more noise for their veteran community and their serving community than they’ve ever done before.”
Canada is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year, with the Games adding to a year of national celebrations.
The 2017 Invictus Games have been the largest so far, with 17 participating nations, including Romania and Ukraine, both joining for the first time.
Past Invictus Games took place in London in 2014, and Orlando in 2016. Next year’s Games will take place in Sydney, Australia.