ITV presenters Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, more commonly known as Ant and Dec received their OBEs separately from The Prince of Wales last week at Buckingham Palace. The Britain’s Got Talent and Geordie duo were busy last week collecting awards. They received three prizes at the National Television Awards on Wednesday evening. One of these was the TV presenter award for the 16th consecutive year.
Breaking tradition, the two went up separately to accept their awards at Wednesday’s ceremony. Football legend Alan Shearer commented on this oddity by saying on social media: “I can’t believe they didn’t let you go up together @antanddec!”
Ant and Dec’s OBEs are for their long-time services to broadcasting and entertainment. The duo won’t have much time to focus on their accolades, as they’ve already begun filming on the next series of Britain’s Got Talent and the Saturday night show airing on ITV, Takeaway.
Ant commented to the London Evening Standard that it felt strange going up to accept his OBE from the Prince on Friday, 27 January. “It’s normally me that goes first and when they called Dec’s name I thought I’ll watch what he does. Twenty minutes apart, it’s a long time … it was weird,” he said. “It’s a huge honour.”
Dec expressed his disbelief that they’d risen so far from their origins in Newcastle to having their work recognised by royalty. “You don’t expect things like this to happen to lads like us from the west end of Newcastle so it’s a huge honour,” he said. “We’re humbled and honoured and ecstatic about the whole thing. We hope it can inspire young people from backgrounds like ours that things like this do happen to us sometimes.”
He then offered words of encouragement to those who might be fighting to make a name for themselves. “Put your head down and work hard and you can achieve what you want. You can end up in Buckingham Palace.”