Following their exceptional performance in the Euro 2016, where they qualified for the semi-finals, the Welsh team may be invited to Clarence House for a reception hosted by the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. The royal couple is keen to thank the team and staff for making the nation proud and boosting the profile of Wales, the Sunday Times reported.
However, the royal reception will probably take place later this year as, after having attended a homecoming party in Cardiff, the Welsh players have headed off on holiday before the start of the new football season. “We are exploring the possibility of doing something at some stage,” said a source from the Palace. “There is definitely a desire to say thank-you to the team and the staff.”
Prince Charles previously sent a message of support to the Wales team ahead of their semi-final against Portugal last week. “Throughout the whole championship, you have set an inspiring example of teamwork and sportsmanship and I have no doubt that in this latest game you will continue to give your country even greater cause for pride,” he said.
Prince William, who is Patron of the Football Association of England, also wrote a letter to the team, congratulating them on having reached further than any of the other home nations. “Congratulations on reaching the semi-finals of the Euro 2016 – and for progressing much further than England did,” he said.
Unfortunately, Portugal beat Wales with a score of 2 – 0 and went on to win the tournament, defeating France in the final.
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visited Wales ahead of the historic match as a part of their annual tour of the country. Prince Charles joked that he was surprised to see that people had come out to see him as he had thought that everyone “had gone to France” to support their team in the football tournament. The royal couple were also presented with Welsh football kits for Prince George and Princess Charlotte.