Andy Gott via Flickr
Prince Charles’ 2015 trip to Ireland
must have been a success because Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, Heather Humphreys, has noted that they are interested in inviting the prince back.
Humphreys has said that he may be invited to an Easter Rising commemorative event saying: “I know that Prince Charles has indicated that he would like to come back to Ireland because he thoroughly enjoyed his visit to Galway and Sligo [in 2015]. As the year goes on, there might be events he would like to attend and we have a very comprehensive Somme commemoration next year too,”
Despite the work done to restore relations between the UK and Ireland, no member of the Royal Family will attend any of the main events Easter weekend, the highlight being a parade on O’Connell Street on 27 March, Easter Sunday.
“The way I see it is that the Easter Sunday and the events of Easter weekend are about the Irish people and about Ireland and I don’t want anything that takes away from that,” said Humphreys.
Prince Charles and his wife Camilla spent four days in Ireland last year starting their trip on 19 May at a reception at the National University of Ireland Galway. There they met with a variety of local people to learn about traditional Irish dance, music and crafts.
The couple also attended a dinner in their honour hosted by President Michael D Higgins and his wife, Sabina. President Higgins and his wife were welcomed to the UK in 2014 when they made a historic State Visit – the first of its kind by a serving Irish serving Head of State.
Other engagements of the trip included a trip to Drumcliffe where they attended a service of Peace and Reconciliation at St Columba’s Church which is also the resting place of WB Yeats who passed away 150 years before. Charles also visited Mullaghmore – the place his great-uncle Lord Mountbatten was killed by IRA bombers.