Connect
To Top

Prince Charles releases statement saying he is “deeply touched”

The Prince of Wales has released a statement saying he is “deeply touched and honoured” after being named as The Queen’s successor as the next Head of the Commonwealth.

In a statement, Prince Charles said: “I am deeply touched and honoured by the decision of Commonwealth Heads of State and Government that I should succeed the Queen, in due course, as Head of the Commonwealth.

“Meanwhile, I will continue to support Her Majesty in every possible way, in the service of our unique family of nations.”

On Friday morning it was confirmed that the Prince of Wales will become the next Head of the Commonwealth once the reign of Queen Elizabeth II comes to an end.

All 53 Commonwealth leaders agreed with The Queen that Prince Charles would be the most suitable person to lead the Commonwealth forward.

It had been suggested that whoever should succeed Her Majesty should be elected to the role and it should be served on a termly basis.

Many politicians from the Commonwealth nations have expressed their support for Prince Charles over the past week of events in London.

Yesterday, while officially opening the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting, The Queen expressed her own opinion on the matter.

She said: “It is my sincere wish that the Commonwealth will continue to offer stability and continuity for future generations, and will decide that one day The Prince of Wales should carry on the important work started by my father in 1949. 

More in Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall

Royal Central is the web's most popular source for the latest news and information on the British Royal Family and the Monarchies of Europe.

Subscribe via Email

To receive the latest Royal Central posts straight to your email inbox, enter your email address below and press subscribe.

Join 34,825 other subscribers.

Copyright © 2018 Royal Central, all rights reserved.