The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will visit Pembrokeshire next week. They couple will arrive via Royal Train at Haverfordwest Railway Station for a full day of official visits.
The Duke visit Puffin Produce to meet the company’s board of directors and staff, whilst the Queen will visit Cotts Farm Equine Hospital.
The Royal couple will then visit together Princes Gate Spring Water in Narbeth. They will then attend a lunch hosted by Arwyn Williams, by Pembrokeshire County Council Chairman Councillor at Picton Castle.
After their lunch The Queen and Prince Philip will stop at Pembroke Dock. Her Majesty last visited the town 60 years ago.
Upon their arrival at the Sunderland Trust’s heritage centre at the Royal Dockyard Chapel, the Royal couple will open the town’s new Heritage Centre. They will also reveal the 200-year timeline bicentennial memorial wall created by students from three Pembroke Dock primary schools.
After, they will embark on a tour of the Heritage Centre and meet with representatives of the Bicentennial Group, the Sunderland Trust and members of the community.
“This is a tremendous boost for Pembroke Dock in this the bicentennial year,” Pam George, Pembroke Dock Bicentennial Group chairman commented to the Milford and West Wales Mercury.
“This is the culmination of a tremendous amount of work by both organisations to not only mark the 200th anniversary of the town but to recognise the remarkable heritage of the community. This includes five Royal Yachts which were built at the Royal Dockyard here, ” Martin Cavaney , Bicentennial coordinator and Sunderland Trustee stated.
In wartime RAF Pembroke Dock was the world’s biggest operational flying-boat station. For close to 30 years the Royal Air Force was based at Pembroke Dock.
Pembroke Dock is also linked to the film The Empire Strikes Back as the full-scale Millennium Falcon was designed and constructed in a dock hangar.
In 1955, The Queen made her first visit as monarch to Pembrokeshire. She visited Pembroke Dock and the RAF Station that was in operation before being closed in 1957.