To Top

Man arrested after climbing into grounds of Buckingham Palace

A 22-year-old man has been arrested after he managed to climb into the grounds of Buckingham Palace by scaling a security fence.

Police have said that the man, who is from Croydon, was arrested at 04:15am this morning after being spotted on Palace security cameras.


The police have said that the incident is not thought to be terrorism related, and that the man had been drinking prior to the incident.

No members of the Royal Family were in residence at Buckingham Palace. The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are currently in Scotland, where they began their summer break yesterday at Balmoral.

Buckingham Palace have declined to comment on the incident.

There have been many security breaches as of late at the royal residences.

In May, convicted murderer Denis Hennessy was found walking around the Buckingham Palace grounds after he scaled a wall.

Hennessy kept asking if the Queen was home after he was arrested by armed police officers on the grounds of the palace. The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were in residence at the time.

he most famous breach came in 1982 when Michael Fagan broke into the Queen’s bedroom. Because the police officer guarding The Queen’s door had gone to walk the corgis, Her Majesty was left talking to Fagan for some time. Eventually, on Fagan’s request, The Queen rung through for a cigarette for him and Fagan was apprehended by Her Majesty’s Page, Paul Whybrew, until police arrived.

In 1992 a helicopter carrying the Queen and Prince Philip was forced to divert as an intruder roamed the palace grounds. Kevin McMahon, 25, was detained but managed to break into the grounds again days later.

Two years later, in 1994, a naked American paraglider landed on the palace roof. Armed police were waiting to swoop on Brett De La Mare, 36, who was pursued by a police helicopter as he flew low over central London. He circled the palace before landing in the forecourt where the changing of the guard ceremony takes place. No members of the royal family were in the building at the time.

And, in 2003, it emerged that a national newspaper reporter had worked undercover as a footman there. Daily Mirror reporter Ryan Parry posed for two months as a footman and had access to the royal family’s personal apartments. He left the Palace shortly before President George Bush arrived for his state visit. Aside from the Fagan intrusion, Parry’s stint remains one of the biggest breaches of Palace security in recent history.

The responsibility of securing the monarch’s London residence is split between the Metropolitan Police and the British Army. During the day, the Army presence is the most overt and widely-recognised with soldiers dressed in ceremonial uniform stationed in gearboxes outside. Although in this capacity they’re largely ceremonial, they still play a vital part in securing the Palace.

The Police provide a visible armed and unarmed presence in and around the palace – during the day the Police have the largest role in security. The Royal Protection Squad is made up of experienced officers who are all firearms and driving experts trained by the SAS. They are backed up by a system of alarms and widespread CCTV.

More in Palaces & Buildings