Located within Windsor Castle’s Home Park, Frogmore House and Garden will be opening for three days in June and then again for a further three days in August to the public for charity.
The picturesque gardens were designed during the 1790’s after George III bought the house in 1792 for Queen Charlotte.
Queen Charlotte used the house as a country retreat for herself and her unmarried daughters. A place where they would get away from the daily court life, it was at Frogmore where they could practice activities such as painting, drawing, needlework, japanning, reading and botanising.
The redwood and tulips trees that tower over the lake is just some of the 4000 shrubs and trees that were planted to create a model landscape.
Additions made by Queen Victoria and Queen Mary are still visible today. Queen Mary took it upon herself to redesign the gardens, adding many flowering trees, shrubs and over 200,000 bulbs.
During Queen Elizabeth’s Silver Jubilee in 1977 she was gifted with many trees and shrubs, all of which were planted throughout the garden.
Frogmore’s once lively royal residence is now frequently used by the Royal Family for private entertaining, featuring walks around the 18th-century lake and Queen Victoria’s Tea House, a beautiful white marble Indian Kiosk.
One of the main features located in the principal room was made to look like an arbor open to the skies. Commissioned by Queen Charlotte, renowned 18th-century flower painter Mary Moser decorated the room. Her daughter, Princess Elizabeth had flower garlands painted in The Cross Gallery.
The Frogmore Estate has been under royal ownership since the early 16th century, however, is was not until 1680 that construction started on Frogmore House for tenants Anne Aldworth and Thomas May.
The first royal resident was George FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Northumberland, the illegitimate son of Charles II and Barbara Palmer, 1st Duchess of Cleveland. After George FitzRoy had died, his wish continued to live there until her death in 1738. A number of tenants followed until George II bought the estate in 1792.
A Mausoleum also lays on the estate, built by Queen Victoria. The death of her beloved husband, Prince Albert on 14 December 1861, left Victoria heartbroken. Four days later she ordered the Frogmore Mausoleum to be built at her expense in the gardens of Frogmore. The Mausoleum was to contain Prince Albert’s remains and to be her resting place, forever next to him.
From 2 June to 4 June, Frogmore House and Garden are open in support of the National Gardens Scheme, NSPCC and The Thames Valley and Chiltern Air Ambulance Trust. It will reopen again on August 25, 26 and 27.
If one wishes to purchase tickets for the Charity Garden Open Days in June, they can be obtained from the charities involved. For tickets to Frogmore House and Garden in August, call 020 7766 7305 or visit royalcollection.org.uk.
Photo Credit: Karen Roe via Flickr