To celebrate the 29th birthday of His Royal Highness Prince Harry of Wales, here are 29 facts about everyone’s favourite red-headed Prince.
1) Prince Harry is a fan of Arsenal football club.
2) When he turned 18 in 2002, The Queen gave him his own Coat of Arms.
3) Harry’s nickname is ‘Spike’. He is believed to be called this by friends and also his Scotland Yard Royalty Protection Officers.
4) In April 2006, Prince Harry left the Royal Military Academy. He then joined The Blues and Royals as a Second Lieutenant. He was promoted to Lieutenant in 2008.
5) He is also a documentary film maker. When he was 19, Prince Harry made a documentary titled “The Forgotten Kingdom” focusing on the dilemma of AIDS victims in Africa.
6) In his military career, Prince Harry uses Wales as a surname, taken from his father’s title of Prince of Wales.
7) In 2003 he was the Captain of Britain’s national school polo team.
8) The Prince is the first member of the royal family to see action since his uncle, Prince Andrew, flew helicopters in the Falklands War in 1982.
9) Harry has a keen interest in botany and enjoys studying flowers.
10) Prince Harry is Patron of the London Marathon Trust.
11) ‘Prince Henry Charles Albert David’ of Wales was born at 4:20 a.m. BST.
12) Harry’s godparents are Prince Andrew, Duke of York; Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones; Lady Vestey; Mrs William Bartholomew; Bryan Organ; and Gerald Ward.
13) He was baptised on 21 December 1984 at St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle.
14) Prince Harry was presented with his flying brevet (wings) by his father, on 7 May 2010.
15) At the age of 21, Prince Harry was appointed as a Counsellor of State replacing his uncle Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex.
16) On 6 January 2009, Prince Harry and his brother had their own offices set up at St James’s Palace. Prior to this, their business was dealt with by their father’s office at Clarence House.
17) Prince Harry is ambassador the 2016 Rio Olympics.
18) Prince Harry was promoted to Captain in 2011.
19) In 2011, Her Majesty reportedly promised Harry the Dukedom of Sussex upon his own marriage. His current, full title is ‘His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales’.
20) Through his father’s royal ancestors, Harry is of German, English and Scottish descent. On his a mother’s side of the family, Harry is of English descent and of remote German, Irish, Scottish and British-American descent.
21) In December 2010, the German charity Ein Herz für Kinder (“Heart for Children”) awarded Prince Harry the Golden Heart Award, in recognition of his “charitable and humanitarian efforts.”
22) Harry is a male line descendant of Elimar I, Count of Oldenburg, and as such a member of the House of Oldenburg, one of Europe’s oldest royal houses.
23) On 5 May 2008, Princess Anne presented Harry and his unit, the Household Cavalry Regiment, with the Operational Service Medal for their time in Afghanistan.
24) Silver Cross was the maker of Prince Harry’s pram. The have supplied the Royal pram’s since 1926.
25) In 2007 Prince Harry became the first Royal Patron of Dolen Cymru, which been working for over 20 years to promote friendship and understanding between the people of Wales and her twinned nation of Lesotho.
26) Prince Harry is patron of 12 charities: Dolen Cymru, Henry Van Straubenzee Memorial Fund, London Marathon Charitable Trust, MapAction, Rugby Football Union, Rugby Football Union Injured Players Foundation, Rugby Football Union All Schools Programme, Sentebale, Walking with the Wounded, The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, WellChild and The HALO Trust.
27) Harry graduated from Eton with two A-levels: a B in Art and a D in Geography.
28) During his gap year in Australia, Prince Harry worked at a Queensland ranching station as a jackaroo.
29) On his 18th birthday, he asked for the money made from the sale of his birthday photos be donated to charity.
photo credit: Walking With The Wounded via photopin cc
A couple of corrections of factual errors for the sake of clarity.
4. Prince Harry was promoted to Captain on April 18, 2011 and is referred to as Captain Harry Wales in the Army.
Refer to facts 6 and 18.
16. I was referring to the initial move and split from Clarence House taking care of Prince William and Prince Harry’s business, since that was a milestone for the Princes at the time.
To receive the latest Royal Central posts straight to your email inbox, enter your email address below and press subscribe.
Join 635 other subscribers